Immerse yourself in culture, gardens, museums, the performing arts, live music, restaurants and more when visiting Minneapolis and AMCIS 2022! If you are interested in outdoor recreation, the city has 22 lakes and lagoons and some 170 parks within its limits. Also, the Mississippi River runs through the center of the city, where you are able to walk and drive along the riverfront.
For those interested in art and culture, Minneapolis has three theaters that offer both modern and classic shows. In addition, Orchestra Hall, the Minneapolis Institute of Art, and Minneapolis Sculpture Garden are popular attractions in the downtown area.
The Mall of America, which is the largest mall in the United States, is located only 15 minutes from downtown Minneapolis. In addition to the Mall of America, many smaller boutique shopping options are available closer to the conference venue.
From the nation’s best Somali cuisine to classic diner fare to authentic birria tacos, Minneapolis features exciting options for dining out. Check out https://www.exploreminnesota.com/list/45-best-minneapolis-restaurants and start making your wish list!
The University of Minnesota’s management information systems (MIS) academic program and the Management Information Systems Research Center (MISRC) were founded in 1968, making them among the first in the emerging field of management information systems. Be sure to use some free time to visit the home of one of the first MIS programs in the field.
About the Area
- Located in the state that is home to over 10,000 lakes, the area and neighboring locations are filled with vibrant culture, history, and art.
- Minnehaha Park is the site of Minnehaha Falls, the inspiration to Longfellow’s “Song of Hiawatha.” The park is beautiful in every season, particularly in the summer. Lake of the Isles, Lake Harriet, and Lake Calhoun have lush greenways connected by a roadway adjacent to the lakes. Many of the city’s most stately homes are located along this route. River Road along the Mississippi River provides a scenic drive right in the heart of the city.
- St. Anthony (and St. Anthony Falls), the birthplace of Minneapolis, which has been restored to its original ambiance.
- Renovated shops and warehouses not far from the conference venue make this a perfect area to spend the evening.
- The Mall of America, one of the world’s largest shopping and entertainment destinations with thrill rides, a world-class aquarium, acres of shopping and entertainment.
- Rent a Nice Ride bike and conquer “The Most Bike-Friendly City” in the country on two wheels.
- Mall of America (11 miles southeast)
- Guthrie Theatre (1 mile west)
- Basilica of St. Mary
- Mill City Museum
- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
- More than 250 Bars and Restaurants
- US Bank Stadium (Vikings)
- Target Center (Timberwolves, Lynx)
- TCF Stadium (Gophers)
- Orchestra Hall
- Nicollet Mall
- Orpheum Theatre
- State Theatre
- Guthrie Theatre
- Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Walker Art Center
- Warehouse District
- Mississippi Riverfront
- Minneapolis Lakes
- University of Minnesota